Sunday, December 28, 2008

Welcome to Donkey Hokie

Welcome to Donkey Hokie. Though I am no newcomer to the blogosphere, I am now launching a new personal political blog to replace the old. It seems certain that since the new year approaches and a new administration waits in the wings, our long-time upside-down government under George W. Bush will finally be righted again on Jan 20th. And so, with the inauguration in sight, I take my leave from my old blog at democracyupsidedown.blogspot.com and officially launch Donkey Hokie. Donkey Hokie melds two important aspects of me: I am very proud to be a small part of a long effort to turn Virginia Blue and I am also a very proud Virginia Tech Hokie.

As a long-time resident of Blacksburg, VA, and as a Virginia Tech alum, mostly, I will talk in more glowing terms about this institution not all that far from my back yard. I'm not in the downtown 16 Blocks, but not so far away. I got my degrees a while ago, but when, jumping up and down to the tune of Metallica's "Enter Sandman," we welcome the Hokies into Lane Stadium, it seems like yesterday. Though I do not currently work at Virginia Tech, I once did. I know many good people who do. I am related to one. I am a proud parent of a Hokie as well. One day, perhaps, I'll be the proud grandparent of a Hokie.

As a long-time consumer of news and politics, I'll write articles both complimentary and not about our local and national media. And as an unmitigated political junkie, I'll write about just about anything in Virginia or national politics that strikes my fancy. I am an enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama and will give him the benefit of the doubt for some time. He's earned the presidential "honeymoon" that Clinton never got and that Republicans seem to demand for their own, but not our, side.

This New Year's Day I hope and trust that we are on our way to a more compassionate, truthful leadership, one that puts people first and reminds of what's possible if we work for constructive change. And On January 20th may a new day in politics be born.

1 comment:

DSatVT said...

Thanks for starting this new blog. I look forward to reading your thoughtful articles.